– Some of my DVDs won’t go past the scanning stage, getting stuck at file 6 of 15 when I try to rip them with HandBrake. Please give me a solution?
– I attempt to rip a DVD to MP4 file using HandBrake. Everything seemingly goes well but suddenly, the encoding progress stops working. Upon opening the video, only 5 minutes has actually encoded. HandBrake won’t rip my DVD. Any suggestions?
HandBrake, this hot free and open-source DVD converter for multi-platforms, indeed helps thousands of people rip DVD movies to MP4 or MKV files as well as devices like iPhone, iPad, iPod, Apple TV, Android, Windows Phone 8 for backup or playback later. However, some users are experiencing HandBrake not working errors as mentioned above. And here, we will suggest solutions to fix HandBrake not working problems like ‘HandBrake crash’, ‘HandBrake won’t rip DVD’ for getting DVDs ripped on PC/Mac successfully.
How to Fix HandBrake Not Working Error
The most common complains about Handbrake not working error are that HandBrake crashes or hangs while scanning DVD titles and won’t rip a DVD completely, for example it only outupts a couple of minutes of video. There are several possibilities causing those problems, for example the HandBrake version is too old, the DVD is encrypted, the DVD has a bad sector. As for those possible causes, we gather the following solutions to have HandBrake not working problems settled.
1. Install Latest HandBrake
HandBrake released 0.10.2 on June 9, 2015 carrying a couple of fixed bugs and improved performance. If you encounter HandBrake not working errors while using old versions, please download and install the newest one on your computer. The latest version supports Mac OS X 10.6 to 10.10, Windows Vista to 10 (32 & 64 bit) and Ubuntu deb.
2. Set Specific Title to Scan
It aims to fix the issue ‘HandBrake crashes/hangs while scanning DVD titles’.
▪ Firstly, play DVD you want to rip using DVD player software to catch main title of DVD movie.
▪ Secondly, Launch HandBrake and tap Source button to access to drop-down list. Here’s an option said “Optionally choose a specific title”. Input main title number to the textbox.
▪ Finally, choose DVD or Folder as source and HandBrake will only load and rip the specified title.
3. Remove DVD Copy-Protections with DVD Decrypter before Ripping with HandBrake
HandBrake is not capable of ripping encrypted DVD so that you need to use a DVD decrypter to remove copy protections and then start DVD conversion with HandBrake to avoid not working errors.
Savvy users may introduce a way to rip CSS encrypted DVDs with HandBrake and VLC. But HandBrake announced that this DVD converter can no longer read protected DVD content via VLC application starting with VLC 2.0. If you are used to VLC, please try older versions.
4. Get HandBrake Alternative
If you still cannot fix HandBrake not working errors after running the former three solutions, please turn to HandBrake alternatives, for example WinX DVD Ripper Platinum.
This powerful DVD converter focuses on converting any DVDs, including latest commercial DVDs, with removal of copy protections, including CSS, Region Code, UOPs, RCE, Sony ArccOS, Disney X-project DRM and outputting crisp videos. Built-in 350+ profiles, it not only rips DVD to mainstream videos, MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, FLV etc, and popular devices, iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone (10/8), Kindle Fire, PS3/4, Xbox, Surface Pro etc, but also clone DVD disc to ISO image, VIDEO_TS folder or MPEG2 file from main/full title at 1:1 ratio. In addition, it boasts a sharp DVD ripping speed owing to Super Encode Engine based on MMX- SSE & 3DNow!, Hyper-threading tech and multi-core CPU utility.
It fully supports Microsoft Windows, covering Windows XP/Vista/7/8 (32 & 64 bit) and newest Windows 10. On the other hand, the Mac version – WinX DVD Ripper for Mac can help you rip DVDs on Mac taking HandBrake not working errors away.